Chelsea Boss Maresca Rejects Manchester City Speculation as Pure Gossip
Chelsea gaffer Enzo Maresca has branded recent reports linking him with a return to Manchester City as "100% speculation".
The Italian manager, who previously worked as Pep Guardiola's assistant in Manchester, addressed the persistent rumours about his next move.
Maresca, appointed Chelsea boss in June 2024, is under contract running until 2029, with a possible extra year option.
"It doesn't bother me at all because I know that is completely unfounded," Maresca said. "And at this moment, there is no time for such distractions."
He further elaborated, "First of all, because I have a contract here for several more years. And my attention, I said many times, is just about this club and I'm very proud to be here. But again, it's rumour. One week ago I was connected to a role in Italy with Juventus. So I ignore it because I know that is not true."
Chelsea, presently placed fourth in the Premier League, are scheduled to face Newcastle United on Saturday in a 12:30 GMT fixture.
Tensions After Recent Remarks
Maresca's latest statement come after he referred to a previous two-day spell as his most difficult since arriving at Chelsea.
Those original remarks had sparked widespread speculation of a potential disagreement between the coach and the club's key decision-makers.
When pressed if he had discussed matters with the Chelsea's sporting directors, Maresca replied, "We are in the same building, so we speak about various topics. But about the Everton media session, no."
The manager however affirmed he would "absolutely" stay at the club next season and called on supporters to keep backing the team".
In more positive news, Maresca revealed that sidelined forwards Liam Delap and Estevao Willian could be back ahead of schedule, potentially in contention for a fixture against Aston Villa later this month.
Perspective: Unresolved Tension
The perceived disconnect between Maresca and the Chelsea board remains as an open wound that continues to cause concern.
While there has been no further escalation of the situation in the open, there has equally been no resolution offered, leaving the disagreement unresolved.
The mood during the manager's media briefings has grown increasingly strained, raising concerns it could undermine what has up to now been a decent start to the campaign.
Chelsea's on-field situation is positive: they are fourth in the Premier League, have qualified for the League Cup last four, and can secure a better European draw with strong results in their final matches.
The prevailing question is whether this off-field situation might begin to disrupt a team that was beginning to look settled.